Menzgold saga: Police to brief Ghanaians later this week
The Ghana Police Service has disclosed that some management staff of the defunct Menzgold Ghana Limited have been invited to the criminal investigation department, for their statements to be taken on their roles leading to the collapse of the company.
Speaking to Citi News, the Director-General of Public Affairs of Ghana Police Service, ACP David Eklu, also revealed that a press briefing will be held later this week to brief Ghanaians on the progress made in helping to retrieve the locked up investments of Menzgold customers.
“I am aware some officials of the company have been invited to the CID headquarters and they are giving statements. There might be a Press briefing on this case any day between Monday and Friday” ACP David Eklu said.
The scheduled press briefing follows pressure mounted on the police to update the public on the whereabouts of the wife and sister of NAM 1, who were cited in the warrant of arrest.
He also explained that, the content of the briefing partly is from information retrieved during the interrogation of some management members of the gold dealership company.
NAM 1 arrest: Ghanaians need to know what transpired in Dubai – Ablakwa
The Minority in Parliament is calling for full disclosure on what transpired during the recent trip by a government delegation to the United Arab Emirates, for the possible extradition of Menzgold Boss Nana Appiah Mensah.
According to the Minority Spokesperson on Foreign Affairs, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, details such as which government officials from the Emirati side met the country’s delegation, the level of diplomatic discussions that took place between the two countries, and the role of the Ghana mission in the UAE in resolving the matters at hand, are all critical information that Ghanaians must know.
Mr. Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa also accused government of causing financial loss to the state by funding the recent trips by some EOCO and Ghana Police officials to the UAE to take a statement from NAM 1.
“Full disclosure is very important when you have told the whole country that you have composed a delegation and that you are going to meet your counterpart in Dubai and you are going to use diplomacy to try to get NAM 1 back to Ghana. As we speak, so many days since they return, no briefing to the Ghanaian public, we do not know which officials we met there…Remember that this is a country where we have a full mission, we have an Ambassador, Alhaji Ahmed Ramadan, and if it was just going to take a statement from NAM 1; the mission could have done that”.
“What you have engaged in now, leading a high-level government delegation and returning and not telling us if you met your counterpart in UAE can only amount to causing financial loss and wastage of the taxpayers’ monies.”
NAM1 not coming to Ghana until Dubai trial ends – Police
The Ghana Police Service and the Economic and Organised Crime Office, last week revealed that the CEO of the troubled gold trading firm, Menzgold, Nana Appiah Mensah, is currently facing misdemeanor charges in Dubai, after which he will be brought to Ghana if he’s cleared of all the charges leveled against him.
According to the joint statement signed by the Ghana Police service and EOCO, Nam 1’s next court hearing is on February 2, 2019.
In the statement, signed by the Director General of Public Affairs at the Ghana Police service, ACP David Eklu, NAM 1 has been engaged by the Ghanaian delegation made up of security and legal offices sent to Dubai to follow up on his arrest warrant after news broke that he had been arrested in Dubai.
“It is the understanding of the Ghanaian delegation that Mr. Mensah faces misdemeanor charges in the UAE and will be made available to Ghana upon the final determination of his current matter in the UAE. His case is next due for court on February 2, 2019” the statement read.
According to the statement, the disgraced Menzgold CEO has been engaged by EOCO and the Ghana Police Service representatives in Dubai and has provided an extensive statement to the security agencies which will be used for investigations into claims of fraud leveled against him by Ghanaians who invested with Menzgold.
Hundreds of Ghanaians are unable to retrieve their investments in Menzgold, and some have gone to court to seek redress.
This was after Menzgold was asked by the Securities and Exchange Commission, SEC, to stop it’s business because it was illegal. The company has since then struggled to pay clients, giving credence to suggestions that he was running a Ponzi scheme.
There’s an existing arrest warrant for NAM1 after it emerged that he had breached his bail conditions and fled the country. Although he’s said to have been arrested in Dubai in the first week of December 2018, news of his arrest became known in early part of January 2019, after the warrant had been issued for him.
His arrest in Dubai is believed to be in connection with a gold deal worth millions of dollars that has gone bad.
Menzgold customers are not greedy; stop mocking them – Irbard Ibrahim