A man has been arrested and more than 50 houses are evacuated after a number of suspicious items were found during a police search warrant.
Officers attended a house in Derbyshire alongside a bomb disposal unit at around 11.30am today when they made the discovery.
The man was arrested on suspicion of making or possessing an explosive substance at the scene and remains in police custody, a spokesman for Derbyshire Police confirmed.
Police said more than 50 houses were evacuated in King Alfred Street, Monk Street and Wolfa Street.
The military are still at the scene but there is no indication it is a terror-related incident.
Police said a man has been arrested and more than 50 homes have been evacuated after a number of suspicious items were found at a house in Derbyshire. He was arrested on suspicion of making or possessing an explosive substance at the scene
Officers attended a house in Normanton, Derbyshire, alongside a bomb disposal unit at around 11.30am today
Pictures from the scene show the Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team and a number of police vehicles at the site.
Residents have been asked to stay away from the area.
A force statement read: ‘The Explosive Ordnance Disposal team are on site and a number of houses are currently being evacuated in King Alfred Street, Monk Street and Wolfa Street.
‘Residents are asked to stay away from the area and those evacuated will be contacted when it is safe to return to their homes.’
In a later update, the force said the incident is likely to continue into the evening as officers work with the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team. There is no indication as to when residents will be back in their homes.
It continued: ‘The force is liaising with Derby City Council to help those who require temporary accommodation while they are currently unable to access their homes.
‘Residents who have been evacuated will be contacted once it is safe to return.’
Chief Superintendent Tracy Lewis said: ‘I would first like to thank everyone for their support and understanding during today’s incident.
‘At the forefront of our minds is the safety of all those in the area as well as staff at the scene, and I know they are working hard to allow people back as quickly as it is safe to do so.
‘I am also aware that people will be concerned due to the evacuation and I would like to reassure them that there is no indication at this time that this is a terror-related incident.
‘A man has been arrested on suspicion of making or possessing an explosive substance and officers from the force are continuing their enquiries into the incident.
‘I would urge anyone who has any information that may be of interest to the investigation team to contact the force.’
An eyewitness told the Derby Telegraph: ‘I woke up at about 9.30am and I thought I had been dreaming but I could have sworn that I heard someone shout ‘get down, get down’ but I just convinced myself that I was just dreaming or something.
‘But then I went downstairs and made breakfast and went to put something in my bin and there was the bomb disposal unit and a police officer outside my door.
‘It’s pretty nuts. Not what you expect on a Sunday afternoon.’
Another witness said the area is ‘pretty quiet’ and most the residents are either families or students.