File photo
newmont ghana

Soldiers on Thursday afternoon stormed the Wa Municipality in the Upper West region and reportedly assaulted some residents over a stolen phone, Starr News has learnt.

A footage seen by shows the soldiers, who are stationed in Wa, in their numbers walking the streets and randomly subjecting residents to punishments.

Some residents were seen picking the gutters while being assaulted by the officers in uniform development. The incident happened Thursday afternoon.

According to a local reporter, Snow, the soldiers are livid over a phone which was allegedly stolen from their base Wednesday night.

According to Starr News sources in the Military, the attention of the High Command has been brought to the incident.

The development comes in the wake of the killing two Ejura residents by soldiers on Tuesday. The soldiers had been deployed to restore order after youth in the town took to the streets over the killing of an activist Ibrahim Kaaka in the community.

Meanwhile, government has named a 3-member Committee of Inquiry which will conduct an inquiry into the circumstances that led to the Ejura killings on June 29.

The 3-member committee includes Justice George Kingsley Koomson, a justice of the Court of Appeal, Security Expert, Vladmir Antwi-Danso, and the Executive Director of Penplusbyte, Miss Juliet A. Amoah.

The committee is expected to complete its work within ten days and subsequently provide a detailed report from the inquiry, with recommendations for appropriate action by July 09, 2021.

President Akufo-Ado on Wednesday ordered Interior Minister Ambrose Dery to conduct a Public Inquiry into the circumstances that led to the Ejura killings.

Two people on Tuesday were shot dead while six others sustained varying degrees of injuries at Ejura after security officers opened fire on angry youth protesting the murder of social activist Muhammed Ibrahim popularly known as Kaaka.

This comes after an activist of the #FixTheCountry movement, Ibrahim Mohammed, alias Kaaka was killed by unknown assailants for his advocacy at Ejura Sekyeredumase.

He is said to have had his head clubbed in his home Friday night by the assailants until he became unconscious and was rushed to the Ejura Government Hospital. He was later transferred to the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital in Kumasi where he died Monday afternoon.

Source: Ghana/ Fm

Leave a Reply

WP Radio
WP Radio
%d bloggers like this: